- 9780553382730 Sailing from Byzantium: How a Lost E…
- 2900553382739 Sailing from Byzantium: How a Lost E…
- 9781400132850 Sailing from Byzantium: How a Lost E…
- 9780553803815 Sailing from Byzantium: How a Lost E…
- 9781400152858 Sailing from Byzantium: How a Lost E…
Detailseite wird geladen...
2006, ISBN: 1400102855
[EAN: 9781400102853], Neubuch, [PU: Tantor Media, Inc, United States], History|Medieval, History|World, Language: English . Brand New. A gripping intellectual adventure story, Sailing from Byzantium sweeps you from the deserts of Arabia to the dark forests of northern Russia, from the colorful towns of Renaissance Italy to the final moments of a millennial city under siege. Byzantium: the successor of Greece and Rome, this magnificent empire bridged the ancient and modern worlds for more than a thousand years. Without Byzantium, the works of Homer and Herodotus, Plato and Aristotle, Sophocles and Aeschylus, would never have survived. Yet very few of us have any idea of the enormous debt we owe them. The story of Byzantium is a real-life adventure of electrifying ideas, high drama, colorful characters, and inspiring feats of daring. In Sailing from Byzantium, Colin Wells tells of the missionaries, mystics, philosophers, and artists who against great odds and often at peril of their own lives spread Greek ideas to the Italians, the Arabs, and the Slavs. Their heroic efforts inspired the Renaissance, the golden age of Islamic learning, and Russian Orthodox Christianity, which came complete with a new alphabet, architecture, and one of the world s greatest artistic traditions. The story s central reference point is an arcane squabble called the Hesychast controversy that pitted humanist scholars led by the brilliant, acerbic intellectual Barlaam against the powerful monks of Mount Athos led by the stern Gregory Palamas, who denounced pagan rationalism in favor of Christian mysticism. Within a few decades, the light of Byzantium would be extinguished forever by the invading Turks, but not before the humanists found a safe haven for Greek literature. The controversy of rationalism versus faith would continue to be argued by some of history s greatest minds. Fast-paced, compulsively readable, and filled with fascinating insights, Sailing from Byzantium is one of the great historical dramas-the gripping story of how the flame of civilization was saved and passed on.
The Book Depository US, London, United Kingdom  [Rating: 5 (von 5)]
NEW BOOK Versandkosten: EUR 1.20
[EAN: 9781400102853], Neubuch, History|Medieval, History|World, Compact Disc. A gripping intellectual adventure story, Sailing from Byzantium sweeps you from the deserts of Arabia to the dark forests of northern Russia, from the colorful towns of Renaissance Ital.Shipping may be from multiple locations in the US or from the UK, depending on stock availability. 0.236
Grand Eagle Retail, Wilmington, DE, U.S.A.  [Rating: 4 (von 5)]
NEW BOOK Versandkosten: EUR 23.44
2006, EAN: 9781400102853
Audio CD, 8 AUDIO CDs withdrawn from the library collection. We will take the time to polish each Audio CD for quality of sound. Some library markings to the box and the CDs. You will enjoy this reliable Audio CD performance., Gebraucht, guter Zustand, [PU: Tantor Media Inc]
The Yard Sale Store
2006, ISBN: 1400102855
[EAN: 9781400102853], Gebraucht, guter Zustand, [PU: Tantor Audio], Ships with Tracking Number! INTERNATIONAL WORLDWIDE Shipping available. May not contain Access Codes or Supplements. Buy with confidence, excellent customer service!
Books Express, Portsmouth, NH, U.S.A.  [Rating: 5 (von 5)]
NOT NEW BOOK Versandkosten: EUR 50.22
Sailing from Byzantium: How a Lost Empire Shaped the World Sailing-from-Byzantium~~Colin-Wells Books On CD Unabridge>CD Nonfiction UAB>CD Non-Fic UAB Audiobook (CD), Tantor Media, Inc.
new Versandkosten:zzgl. Versandkosten
Detailangaben zum Buch - Sailing from Byzantium: How a Lost Empire Shaped the World
EAN (ISBN-13): 9781400102853
ISBN (ISBN-10): 1400102855
Herausgeber: TANTOR MEDIA INC
Gewicht: 0,236 kg
Buch in der Datenbank seit 24.10.2007 22:06:32
Buch zuletzt gefunden am 17.09.2017 22:44:29
ISBN - alternative Schreibweisen:
< zum Archiv...
- "The First Assistant: A Continuing Tale from Behind the Hollywood Curtain", von "Naylor, Clare; Hare, Mimi" (9781400102846)
- "Facing Down Evil: Life on the Edge as an FBI Hostage Negotiator", von "Van Zandt, Clint; Paisner, Daniel" (9781400102860)
- "Redemption: The Last Battle of the Civil War", von "Lemann, Nicholas" (9781400102839)
- "Notorious C.O.P.: The Inside Story of the Tupac, Biggie, and Jam Master Jay Investigations from NYPD's First "Hip-Hop Cop"", von "Parker, Derrick; Diehl, Matt" (9781400102877)
- "The Detonators: The Secret Plot to Destroy America and an Epic Hunt for Justice", von "Millman, Chad" (9781400102822)
- "What Would Macgyver Do?: True Stories of Improvised Genius in Everyday Life", von "Vaughan, Brendan" (9781400102884)