Detailseite wird geladen...
A widely celebrated translator's vivid, accessible, and elegantly concise rendering of an ancient English masterpiece Beowulf tells the story of a Scandinavian hero who defeats three evil creatures--a huge, cannibalistic ogre named Grendel, Grendel's monstrous mother, and a dragon--and then dies, mortally wounded during his last encounter. If the definition of a superhero is "someone who uses his special powers to fight evil," then Beowulf is our first English superhero story, and arguably our best. It is also a deeply pious poem, so bold in its reverence for a virtuous pagan past that it teeters on the edge of heresy. From beginning to end, we feel we are in the hands of a master storyteller. Stephen Mitchell's marvelously clear and vivid rendering re-creates the robust masculine music of the original. It both hews closely to the meaning of the Old English and captures its wild energy and vitality, not just as a deep "work of literature" but also as a rousing entertainment that can still stir our feelings and rivet our attention today, after more than a thousand years. This new translation--spare, sinuous, vigorous in its narration, and translucent in its poetry--makes a masterpiece accessible to everyone. Beowulf Mitchell, Stephen, Yale University Press
Paperback, [PU: Yale University Press], A widely celebrated translator's vivid, accessible, and elegantly concise rendering of an ancient English masterpiece, Contemporary Fiction
Versandkosten:Versandkostenfrei. (EUR 0.00)
A widely celebrated translators vivid, accessible, and elegantly concise rendering of an ancient English masterpiece Books, [PU: Yale University Press]
Nr. Versandkosten:, , zzgl. Versandkosten.
paperback, [PU: Yale University Press]
in stock. Versandkosten:Usually dispatched within 24 hours. (EUR 0.00)
Detailangaben zum Buch - Beowulf
EAN (ISBN-13): 9780300236668
ISBN (ISBN-10): 0300236662
Herausgeber: Yale University Press
Buch in der Datenbank seit 09.04.2018 13:02:47
Buch zuletzt gefunden am 05.03.2019 13:06:16
ISBN - alternative Schreibweisen:
< zum Archiv...
- "William Hunter and the Anatomy of the Modern Museum", von "María Dolores Sánchez-Jáuregui, Mungo Campbell, Nathan Flis" (9780300236651)
- "Learning Irish", von "O'Siadhail, Michael" (9780300236675)
- "George Shaw - A Corner of a Foreign Field", von "George Shaw, Mark Hallett (editor), Catherine Lampert, David Mellor, EugÃ©nie Shinkle, Thomas E Crow, Jeremy Deller (interviewer (expression)), Alexandra Burston (contributor), Yale Center for British Art (host institution), Holburne Museum (host institut" (9780300236644)
- "Voices from the Warsaw Ghetto: Writing Our History (Posen Library of Jewish Culture and Civilization)", von "David G. Roskies, Samuel D. Kassow" (9780300236729)
- "Corot: Women", von "Mary Morton" (9780300236736)
- "Hugh Lane: The Art Market and the Art Museum, 1893–1915 (Studies in British", von "Morna O'Neill" (9780300236583)