Detailseite wird geladen...
1970, ISBN: 9780312590932
"An extraordinary, literary memoir from a gay white South African, coming of age at the end of apartheid in the late 1970s "Glen Retief's childhood was at once recognizably ordinary-- and brutally unusual. Raised in the middle of a game preserve where his father worked, Retief's warm nuclear family was a preserve of its own, against chaotic forces just outside its borders: a childhood friend was also the leader of a death squad, while his cultured grandfather quoted Shakespeare over cocktails and abused Glen's sister at bedtime. But it was when Retief was sent to boarding school, that he was truly exposed to human cruelty and frailty. When the prefects were caught torturing younger boys, they invented "the jack bank," where underclassmen could save beatings and draw on them later to atone for their supposed infractions. Retief writes movingly of the complicated emotions and politics in this punitive all-male world, and of how he navigated them, even as he began to realize that his sexuality was different than his peers'. The Jack Bank: A Memoir of a South African Childhood Retief, Glen, St. Martin's Press
2011, ISBN: 0312590938, Lieferbar binnen 4-6 Wochen Versandkosten:Versandkostenfrei innerhalb der BRD
Internationaler Buchtitel. In englischer Sprache. Verlag: ST MARTINS PR, 275 Seiten, L=239mm, B=162mm, H=26mm, Gew.=458gr, [GR: 15580 - HC/Zeitgeschichte/Politik (ab 1949)], [SW: - Biography / Autobiography], Gebunden, Klappentext: "The Jack Bank" is an extraordinary, literary memoir from a gay white South African, coming of age at the end of apartheid in the late 1970s. "The Jack Bank" is an extraordinary, literary memoir from a gay white South African, coming of age at the end of apartheid in the late 1970s.
Lieferbar binnen 4-6 Wochen (Besorgungstitel) Versandkosten:Versandkostenfrei innerhalb der BRD
Detailangaben zum Buch - The Jack Bank: A Memoir of a South African Childhood
EAN (ISBN-13): 9780312590932
ISBN (ISBN-10): 0312590938
Herausgeber: ST MARTINS PR
Gewicht: 0,458 kg
Buch in der Datenbank seit 09.04.2011 09:58:44
Buch zuletzt gefunden am 12.11.2017 14:50:03
ISBN - alternative Schreibweisen:
< zum Archiv...
- "Fighting Techniques of the Colonial Era: 1776-1914 Equipment, Combat Skills and Tactics", von "Bruce, Robert B.; Jestice, Phyllis G.; Reid, Stuart" (9780312590925)
- "The Complete Book of Curtains Drapes & Blinds", von "Wendy Baker" (9780312590956)
- "Canadian Writer's Reference 4e & Compclass & 50 Essays 2e", von "Hacker, Diana; Cohen, Samuel" (9780312590901)
- "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", von "Grabien, Deborah" (9780312590963)
- "The Immortals 04. Dark Flame", von "Noel, Alyson" (9780312590970)
- "The American Promise 4th Ed Vol 2 + e-Book and Web site Access Card + Going to the Source 2nd Ed Vol 2 + The Plunkitt of Tammany Hall", von "James L. Roark" (0312590881)